Saturday, July 30, 2011

Page 23: The Saint Family Reunion


Meanwhile, during this period I had been corresponding with some of Lawrence Saint’s descendants. 

They planned a family reunion in Pennsylvania and I arranged to have them meet me in Bryn Athyn to see the Saint materials I uncovered in the Glencairn archives. Saint’s grandchildren, who are missionaries living in Guatemala accepted my invitation. I asked if they had any samples of glass and if they would they bring them to show me. 
Disappointingly, what they produced was a sample of Saint’s striated red about the size of a nickel which had been made into a heart shaped charm – given to each of the girls as a gift from Saint’s wife. 
They also showed me two roundels that came from Saint’s factory which they referred to as “formula plates”. With a diamond, each had been inscribed with a 3-digit number and the promise: “the formula for this color is in the Corning Museum of Glass”!

No comments:

Post a Comment